This is a list of software that has seemed to work out well for me. I can't say if it will work out well for you.
Note that the versions that I have used may be different from the current ones, I may have downloaded them from a different place, and that I have not tested them completely for any possible malware. USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- Notepad++ - Free. Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.
- ColorSchemer ColorPix - ColorPix is a useful little color picker that grabs the pixel under your mouse and transforms it into a number of different color formats.
- Paint.NET - Free. Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for PCs that run Windows.
- Photo Pos Pro - Free. Recommended for creating business cards. I'm sure it has many other uses but I have not yet tried them. Download link here. Note that c|net tries to get you to download their crap installer, use the download link here to just get photopospro_setup.exe rather than their bloatware installer.
- OpenOffice.org - Free. Apache OpenOffice is the leading open-source office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more.
- KeePass - Free. KeePass, the free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager.
- 8GadgetPack - 8GadgetPack makes it possible to use gadgets on Windows 8 / 8.1.
- DragDropInterceptor - Prevent Accidental Drag Drop Move in Windows.
Zip file manager
- 7-Zip - Free.